Our society is focused on his own path, the path to Happiness. Every one of us wants to be happy and to have a more fulfilling life. However, how can your way to happiness be combined with your day to day activities, especially your job? Or maybe you have a company and you want your employees to be more productive!
Well, there has been a major increase in studies that try to connect happiness to productivity and the truth is that there is a link! Happy workers are more productive!
There is a 2015 study with concrete evidence that happier employees are more productive in the workplace.
The 700-person experiment was conducted in Britain by the Social Market Foundation and the University of Warwick’s Centre for Competitive Advantage in the Global Economy.
Researchers chose individuals at random and either showed them a 10-minute comedy clip or provided them with snacks and drinks. They then followed up with a series of questions to ensure that the “happiness shocks,” as they’re referred to in the report, actually made the subjects happy. When it was confirmed that they did, the researchers gave them tasks to measure their levels of productivity.
The experiment showed that productivity increased by an average of 12%, and reached as high as 20% over the control group. By way of comparison, Dr. Daniel Sgroi, the author of the report, noted that in regards to GDP and economic growth, “increases of 3% or so are considered very large.”
The researchers also tracked how “real-world shocks,” such as mourning and family matters, affected workers. They found that there was a causal link between unhappiness and decreased productivity that had a lasting effect of about two years.
But what can you do in your everyday life to increase your productive levels? Or can you do in your corporation to increase overall happiness levels of your workers?
Well, first let’s address the companies:
- Employees with autonomy tend to have greater job satisfaction. This means having some control over their work, such as managing their own time and making decisions on what they do when.
- Managers make a big difference to employee happiness. Good managers are key motivators who can make a real difference to their teams. The ‘five fundamentals’ of good management include coaching, giving feedback, listening, rewarding and recognizing success and performance management. If you haven’t already read the article from Forbes on Don’t Be Surprised When Your Employees Quit and you might also read New York Times article on Google’s Quest to Build a Better Boss.
And how to increase your levels of happiness as a worker?
- Exercise. Make this a daily habit. Exercise is not only useful to help you control your weight. No, exercise or physical activities will help you increase your confidence while might be used in a way to clear your head after a long day of work or to help you set the mood for attack the day with the right attitude! (In need for some motivation? Rise and shine to conquer your fitness battle!)
- Simplify your life. One of my favorite tips. I’ve greatly simplified my life, in many ways, and I can say that having less stuff in my life, and less to do, has greatly increased my enjoyment of life. I choose my battles wisely!
- Meditate. Well, at this time you probably have heard about Meditation a few hundreds or thousands of times. Truth be told, the benefits are amazing. A number of recent studies highlight the positive effects of meditation on anxiety, mood, and stress symptoms. Also (Why you Should Meditate Right now!)
Do you use any other tip to increase your happiness and productivity levels? Let me know!